Monday, August 17, 2009

32nd DAY: Kobe & Himeji




















There weren’t many choices for accommodation in Kobe in my price range. The hostel I wanted was fully booked and a small ways out of the city so I chose convenience. I was right in the city center but it was 3800yen for a capsule hotel. The beds were definitely small no doubt but it had great facilities. There was an onsen, a sauna room and a cold pool. A room with TV, internet, comics and magazines. The bathrooms had all the toiletries you needed. Your sleeping space was so tight that they provided lockers and best of all, it was clean. As a matter of fact, most public space is clean. I’ll miss that!

After I dropped off my stuff at the hotel I was supposed to meet Akmed, a guy I met from Nagai Hostel at Himeji. It was a 45 minutes ride but the train was a shocking 950yen each way. This made me so glad to have a scooter before, just wish I still had it then. I was supposed to be there at 2pm and I was late 30 minutes. Later I found out he had been there since 1pm, seen everything, and was hungry. That meant I had to do it alone, which was fine. We were to meet back up at the train station and see Kobe together.

It looked like the timing would be perfect. Nigel called and was supposed to arrive 30 minutes after us in Kobe. We hung out near the station at an optimal position for some good sightseeing. There were plenty of sights to be seen, arguably the best in all of Japan. They were well dressed and were left, right and center. They say Fukuokua is quite scenic as well with bigger chests as an added bonus but I’ll have to see it to believe it.

Nigel still had all his luggage so we dropped it off first. We checked out the China town, had dinner and strolled down to the mosaic, where all the action was. Kobe is a port city so their harbor is quite the sight at night. We got some amazing pictures, heard some live jazz, saw a light show, and wandered around the small amusement park for kids. Now that I found out where all the talent is, I wish I had gone there earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment