Monday, August 17, 2009

A Change of Plans

I flew from Osaka the next day. It was a smooth flight. I landed in Naha early and had an entire day there. The plan was to go back to the 1000 yen cubicles and just worked on my computer. I luckily got the last bed available that night then came the bad news. There was a typhoon passing through Okinawa that night and it was heading towards Taiwan. All I could think was, “Noooo, why??? Not now!!! Muthaphukinshitegoddamahole!!!” Sure enough, my fears came the next morning.

I dragged my boxed up bicycle to the airport just to have my flight delayed until 10am the next morning. My box was in such bad condition from too much use, and leaving it for a month in a moist hiding spot between 2 buildings that I had to tape it up excessively. I decided it was best to leave it at the airport in a storage room. The problem was I thought it was for each 24 hour period but the end of the day counted for one day so I had to pay 1200 yen for 2 days. Luckily, I took out more money than I needed and I would still have enough for the extra day.

I strolled around Kokusai Dori that day. It was busier and had cuter woman around this time around and was thinking we should have come in July instead. As night came and the typhoon started getting stronger, the streets got emptier as the night progressed. I went back to the hostel, ate dinner and did some socializing. I ended up meeting a couple of Polish girls. They were supposed to go out with some Japanese girls and an Aussie so they invited me too. I said I would love to but I didn’t have enough money, no banks were open and I had to leave the next day super early so if they lent me money, there’s no way to pay them back. They came back later and offered to pay for me to join them because no one else wanted to go anymore. I half reluctantly, half gladly accepted so I went to get ready.

The streets were dead. Saicolo, the biggest club in town wasn’t even open. They asked a local where to go. They directed us to reggae club. There were barely any people in there but the music was good. It was a small joint but looked massive at that time. We drank, talked, and danced until 3am when I ran out of steam. They were 22 so they said they could have stayed all night but I needed to wake up at 7:30am so they came with me. Too bad it wasn’t in more than one way.

So that was my last day in Japan. I was sad to leave in many ways but I was eager to go to Taiwan for the first time in a long time. I am in the Taiwan Best Trip contest and planning to win so there is much preparation and work to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment