Monday, July 13, 2009

9th DAY: Rappelling


David and Nigel went on the river tracing tour again in the morning. I spent the time to catch up on my blogs and do some editing on some videos. They came back at 13:00 along with 3 other guests and we had some traditional style lunch. Ikumi, Rocky’s wife prepared for us sushi wrapped in a leaf with trout, sliced green onions, and spices, miso soup and bread which we cooked ourselves over a fire wrapped around a stick. It was all so yummy! We took a hung out until 17:00 and waited for Rocky to finish work.

We walked over to the bridge near the fishing center, fully equipped and ready to descend. He gave us a lesson on how to link the rope to ourselves and practiced that before he gave us a demonstration on how to do it. He came up and prepared Nigel to go first. It looked easy enough to me. Nigel was willing but still a little apprehensive. I don’t blame him. We were about 15m up. He came down smoothly. Next came David. He too was a bit scared too, but “it was something you just have to try once.” He looked comfortable but he didn’t want to try it again. And finally came me, the only person who isn’t afraid of heights. I admit, at first it really pumps up your adrenaline, relying on a rope to support all your weight horizontally, then jumping off and you’re just hanging there. It kind of feels like you’re suspended in a chair.

I think I’d like to do this more often. Next time, something a little more challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment